Monday, January 22, 2018

Page 1500

((Double Monday -- Page 2 of 2))
“You believe you are related to him?” laughed Malast, which was perhaps the most emotion he had yet shown. “As in, by blood?”

“That’s right,” said Carver. “And that was your question, so now you must answer mine. How do you know Ettol?”

Malast blinked a couple times, then gave another laugh. “Your ‘uncle,’ you said? That is frankly impossible, I regret to inform you. Ettol has no siblings. At least, not in the traditional sense. If you believe he is your uncle by blood, then you are mistaken.”

“That does not answer my question,” Carver insisted. “How do you know Ettol?”

“Hmm. If he never told you, then I imagine he would be upset if I did.” Malast allowed a beat to pass. “But he’s kind of a dick, so I don’t care. He and I are very old comrades. One might even call us the oldest of comrades.”

Carver, along with everyone else, waited for more. In vain, apparently. “And?” said Carver. “You didn’t answer my question.”

“Sure I did.”

“No, you didn’t! How do you know my uncle?!”

“Excuse me, but it’s my turn again.”

“No, it isn’t! You’re breaking the rules of the game! You have to--”

“Be silent,” said Malast, invoking the same heaviness that he had used on Diego.

And sure enough, Hector observed Carver’s mouth moving in his climate suit without any words escaping.

“I do not care for people,” said Malast, “but I especially do not care for noisy people.”

That was enough to render everyone else silent of their own volition again.

Garovel, what the hell is that ability?’ thought Hector.

Not something I’ve seen before,’ said Garovel in the echo of privacy. ‘The closest thing I can think of is the oppressive soul power of someone incredibly strong. I’ve heard rumors that it’s possible to bend people to your will, if your soul power is sufficiently stronger than theirs, but this--I don’t know. If he were doing something like that, you’d think I’d be able to sense the enormous strength of his soul, but I can’t.

Maybe he’s suppressing his soul.’

Even WHILE using his power? That’s pretty much impossible.

...Not if he really is a god.

Ugh.

“Anyway,” Malast finally said, “it’s my turn again.” His eyes went to Eleyo. “Hidden One.”

Eleyo just waited.

“Are you afraid of me?” was all Malast asked.

Eleyo shifted his feet. “No.”

“You’re not lying again, are you?”

“I wasn’t before, and I am not now.”

“Hmm.” Malast’s eyes seemed to glaze over. “Alright, then. Final question. Ask away.”

And again, everyone fell quiet.

The threat of this being the final question made even Eleyo reluctant to say anything, it seemed.

...What do we ask?’ thought Hector.

Fuckin’... I don’t know! Ask him why he’s such an asshole.

Real helpful, Garovel.

Oh, who cares? Not HIM, apparently. Rasalased was way cooler than this douche.

No comments:

Post a Comment