Sunday, February 7, 2016

Page 1172

“Get to the point,” said Gohvis.

“Oof. Did you betray Ivan?”

“Do your reports say that I did?”

“Well, no--”

“Then you have your answer.”

“Mm. I see. Good. Then you won’t mind coming with me to free him.”

“I’m busy.”

“That is a shame, but I do think this takes precedence. And I’m sure the others would agree with me. You and I are the closest to Kuros right now, therefore it falls to us to take care of this as quickly as possible. Come.”

“No.”

Emiliana felt the atmosphere shift. The ensuing period of silence was abruptly heavier.

“I’m sure it won’t take long,” said Vanderberk. “Between the two of us--”

“No.”

Vanderberk smacked his lips and scratched his forehead. “See, when you say things like that, it makes you look suspicious. Either that, or it makes me think that you don’t respect me as your equal.”

“I don’t.”

Vanderberk’s face scrunched up. “Bold words, considering it’s just you and the old man now. The two of you are running low on reliable friends. Doesn’t make much sense for you to be treating me this way.”

Gohvis finally deigned to stand all the way up and look at the man. Even in this relatively high sunlight, the Monster’s giant shadow reached almost all the way to Vanderberk. “Have I hurt your feelings? Perhaps obliterating another orphanage will dry your tears.”

“Hoh! Maybe it would! But hey, don’t knock it ‘till you’ve tried it, my friend. Solving future problems today--that’s my motto. And every soul counts, isn’t that right?”

“If you are so interested in avoiding future problems, then I suggest you leave me alone. Now.”

No comments:

Post a Comment