Friday, April 25, 2014

Page 644

By now, Hector was getting the distinct impression that he still wasn’t even close to the end of this self-guided tour. He supposed that could be a good thing, but on the other hand, even if he only counted everything he’d seen so far, Warrenhold already seemed way too big for four people. And hell, he wasn’t sure if Jamal and Amelia were going to live here. The thought of having all this space for only him and his mother was even more daunting. Were all castles this gigantic?

At least there doesn’t seem to be a vermin problem,’ said Garovel.

“So far.”

I don’t think I’ve even seen any cobwebs anywhere. Curious.

“Watch the next room we find be a fucking den of spiders.”

Are you arachnophobic?

“No. Er... at least, I don’t think I am...”

Oh, that’s right. You’re not afraid of anything, are you?

“Uh--I don’t know about that. When I saw Harper use pan-rozum, I almost shat myself...”

Garovel laughed. ‘Oh yeah? I didn’t realize. I suppose I can see why, though.

He looked around again. “Agh. I wish I at least knew how many floors there are in this place.” He’d asked Madame Carthrace for a map or floor plan of the building, but she explained that she’d been unable to procure such a thing despite searching for the past several days.

Just think of it as an adventure.

“I feel like I’m gonna get lost down here forever...”

Don’t worry. I can probably guide you back.

“...Probably?”

If not, you can become the Darksteel Mole Man.

“Fantastic.”

Eyeing all eight doors another time, Hector eventually just shrugged and chose the closest one. It led to another hallway. A very long hallway. There had to be at least another ten rooms to investigate, but he decided to keep going instead. At length, the corridor ended very abruptly, as if the rest of it were missing, replaced by a hole leading to pitch blackness. Hector stepped closer to the edge and shined his light through the hole.

This time, it really was a cave.

15 comments:

  1. Hector found the batcave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey George, thought I'd mention that this is my favourite serial right now. The story itself is interesting, and the paragraph structure makes it easy to read. Not to mention you update it so often. There are certain serials, comics, YouTube channels and other miscellaneous things that I check everyday for the latest update. It's an incredibly short list, and this is on it. Keep up the awesome story!

    Wish more authors would release short sections each day rather than 1-2 long ones every week or one very long one each month. The ones that do that I usually forget about for a while, or need to take a sec to think about what last happened. Not the case for yours.


    In regards to this update: No life in old castles usually means it's haunted.... Haunted usually means........... JUMP SCARES! :D
    Too bad April fools was a few weeks ago....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Avid. That means a lot. Knowing that some folks check back that frequently helps me stay motivated.

    One of the most difficult things about this whole webserial thing is the feeling like I'm writing into a vacuum and no one really gives a shit. So really, I appreciate all the comments that everyone leaves, because they help me ignore that feeling. If any of you folks are following serials besides mine, then I encourage you to leave comments for them, too. Even if only a little, it'll help those authors continue writing for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. “Agh. I wish I at last knew how many floors there are in this place.”
    the sentence works without it, but did you mean "least" instead of "last"?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't be the only one who sees Warrenhold and thinks Harrenhal...

    Some typos:
    "she’d been unable [to] procure such a thing"
    "Eyeing all eight[s] doors another time,"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, Harrenhal.

    Both fixed, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yeah...just wanted to go out on a limb and say I don't think Hector is going to use Pan-rozum. I've been thinking about it and I don't see how it will work very well with his ability. The only kind of other ability I can think of that could work with his main one to make some sort of impressive difference in his combat ability would be alteration, in the form of electromagnetic wave control like...argh, forgotten his name already, you know, him. But even that just doesn't seem proportionately worth it, when there are other states to choose from, one of which doubtless has more potential for Hector.


    Besides, that way you get to surprise us with the all new possibilities we hadn't heard about when it finally comes time for Hector to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always enjoyable reading your predictions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not 100% certain, but I think that while "...shined his light..." may be equally correct, "...shone his light..." seems to 'read' more easily. Of course, I haven't taken a course in English in more than 3 decades so I could easily be completely wrong :)


    And thank you for an interesting and entertaining story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think of Helm's Deep

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Shone" as opposed to "shined" feels a bit too past tense there. Admittedly, I'm no writer, so we'll see what Frost says

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hector’s gonna get so lost that he'll have to kill himself and have Garovel remake him above ground lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mahdi AparentylycntsayawsomApril 27, 2015 at 12:35 AM

    Percy Jackson: dammit Daedulas! Your Labyrinth's back again

    ReplyDelete