Saturday, April 5, 2014

Page 608

“My sword isn’t even white,” said Lynnette.

The Queen chortled. “Would you like me to force them to change the name via royal decree?”

“That would be amusing, but I suppose not.”

The Queen took a moment before asking her next question. “What is your opinion of Hector?”

“My opinion? Your Highness, what do you mean?”

“I am merely curious what you think of him. You have spent more time in his company than I have.”

“Well, I think we are lucky to have him on our side.”

“A banal answer.”

“I’m not sure what sort of answer you’re looking for...”

“Tell me something I do not already know about him.”

“Um... I doubt I know any more than you do.”

“As I recall, you spent an entire week alone with him in an underground bunker. Are you saying you learned nothing else about him in that time?”

“When we weren’t training together, he mostly kept to himself. He’s not exactly the most talkative person.”

Helen exhaled a breath. “And neither are you, it would seem.”

Lynnette just returned a flat expression.

A beat of silence passed as the Queen observed her. “Do you have a boyfriend?”

Lynnette pursed her lips together on one side. She was no longer uncertain where Her Highness was going with this conversation. Momentarily, she wondered if stabbing the Queen would still be considered treason as long as she knew the woman couldn’t die from it.

“Lynnette, please stop looking at me like that. It is a harmless question.”

“You are usually more subtle than this, Your Highness.”

“I would rather not have to play word games with you as well.”

She sighed. “...I do not have a boyfriend.”

“Ah. Girlfriend?”

“No, ma’am.”

“I see.”

She could practically see the gears turning in the Queen’s head. “Hector is a bit young for me, don’t you think?”

“Oh, are we talking about Hector again?”

“Your Highness, please.”

The Queen laughed. “He is sixteen, yes? And as I recall, you are nineteen? Hmm, I suppose you have a point. Three years makes a big difference at your age.”

12 comments:

  1. omf helen these things take time

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helen the match maker...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hitch she is not, still way to go Helen.
    Also never realized that Lynn was only 19, always figured she was early 20's

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I don't suppose you'd be up for a trade. My soul for writing fame and fortune? I never use this old thing anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for reminding all these bloody shippers about the age difference. I stand by my 'older sister' theory (younger guy with older girl friggin' creeps me out). Along with her parents as surrogate mom and dad and...argh, I've forgotten her name already, a little sister. Family package. Just what he needs. Good lord, as if he could handle having a girlfriend right now! I doubt he's capable of recognizing any such feelings in himself at this stage, just because he's that far from being able to cope with them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She's not match making, she's politicking. She wants to know what unknown relations her most trusted bodyguard might have with her other most powerful ally. Shes' not out to make it happen, but to her mind, it's essential to know if it exists.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Umm, 3 years isn't really that big of a deal. I figured she was being at least partly playful with that last sentence. I think most men have found some women older than them that they find attractive. There's nothing creepy about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You might want to reword that offer. He could literally have you write the words "fame and fortune" as his end of the bargain.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nah, Satan wouldn't do that to me. I trust him. He has an honest face.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Also might look good to the press I guess

    ReplyDelete
  11. So wait, how do you feel bout a guy with a younger girl? I would be a bit more hesitant with that but really, 3 years doesn't mean much to me. That means they both would have been in high school at the same time. I don't see any problem with it

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Queen is very forward, isn't she? I wonder what's her angle there. It also kinda feels like she used the topic of her brother as bait lol

    ReplyDelete