Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Page 535

--donation bonus (day #28, post 2/5)--
“No,” said Roman. “I didn’t meet Gina until about a year later.”

“H-how long have you two been... um...?”

“How long have we been, what?”

“Been, um...? Er, what is your relationship, exactly? I-if that’s not too personal, I mean.”

“She’s my second-in-command. My right-hand woman. My babysitter.”

“One of those things doesn’t--”

“She’s the glue that keeps my boat in the air.”

“That’s definitely not a thing people say...”

“She’s the golden goose that makes sure I don’t count my chickens before they hatch.”

“...I don’t even know what that’s supposed to mean.”

“She’s the giraffe to my peanut butter--”

“If you don’t want to tell me, you can just say so.”

“I don’t want to tell you.”

“Ah...”

Roman gave a sideways nod. “Honestly, though, I’m not entirely sure, myself. Gina is a curious one. I’ve met a lot of people who make their living off of keeping secrets, but Gina is more difficult to read than most of them.”

“You think so? She seemed pretty, um... straightforward... uh, to me.”

“Yes, well. She would. And I did tell her to help you, as well.”

“Hmm...”

“When I first met her, she was borderline agoraphobic.”

“Agora...?”

“She was extremely reluctant to go outside. I don’t think she’d left her apartment in months.”

“Oh... and you helped her get over that?”

“You could say that.”

Hector just looked at him, waiting for elaboration.

“I kind of burnt down her apartment,” said Roman.

“Aha...”

“Accidentally.”

“Right.”

“The details aren’t important.”

“Uh-huh...”

“Long story short, I helped her get back on her feet. Was only meant to be a temporary situation, but she ended up sticking around.”

“And you don’t know anything else about her?”

“I never said that.”

“But you said... all that stuff about her being difficult to read.”

“Yep.”

“Then...?”

“If you want to know more about her, then ask her yourself. Not my place to tell.”

Hector gave a small nod.

“You never answered my question,” said Roman. “How did you originally die? Told you mine.”

Hector nearly cringed. He was better prepared to answer now, but he certainly would’ve preferred Roman to have forgotten.

17 comments:

  1. 15% of that was jibber-jabber
    But it was a good page
    Delving into the secrets

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snowtail the KhajiitJanuary 29, 2014 at 11:09 AM

    Hahaha, oh jeez, this page made me laugh. Right up until those last two lines. Good luck Hector~!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my god, I can't express the amount of fangirlism I'm feeling right now. This makes Roman/Gina borderline-canon (though maybe one-sided).

    Also, a question about style. I have never noticed that before, but in this scene, Roman seems to have a distinct speech pattern. He seems to leave out the subject at the beginning of sentences sometimes ("Was only meant to be temporary" for example). Not quite sure what it's called (I think it's ellipsis, but I couldn't find out if this applies to omitting the subject). Did you do this on purpose? And going further, do you have a different voice for all characters? I think the King and Queen tend to not use contractions as much as the other characters. I had meant to ask this a while back. It's usually quite noticable when the perspective changes between scenes.

    And a little typo:
    "I-if that’s not to[o] personal"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fixed, thank you.



    And yeah. I do have different voices for pretty much all the characters. Some are pretty minor, though, so I don't expect all of them to be noticeable, but some of them are quite distinct, yeah. Not the King and Queen--all of the royals use contractions quite sparingly, with the exception of David. Voreese swears the most. And so on so forth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Snowtail the KhajiitJanuary 29, 2014 at 8:26 PM

    Hehe, I'd say he does. If anything, he could just pull his silence thing. He's good at that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for clarifying.

    I was going to write a long comment about how weird Voreese's swearing is, but I suppose no-one is actually interested in discussing this. It's just that, assuming languages in Eleg evolve in the same way as here, the current language would amount to a foreign language to old reapers since their native tongue died out. Garovel even mentioned in an early chapter that he's a slow reader because of this. And swearing in a foreign language is really, really difficult. All the connotations and regional differences and stuff.

    How old is Voreese, anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Becoming fluent in a new language is all about getting exposure to it, and reapers have ample time to learn.


    I AIN'T TELLIN'.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's true. I'm just suprised that Garovel would have trouble reading that language then. Personally, I think reading in a foreign language is way easier than writing/speaking. Then again, maybe he's dyslexic. Or he was born before the invention of writing and had to learn how to read late in life (or death). Or something.

    I suppose you can't tell what their language is called because that would be spoiler-ish? It's awkward to say "that language" all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he mentioned something about being unable to turn pages. And since most ways to learn reading involve books, it might just have been impossible to practice consistently.

      Delete
  9. That sounds really funny, a 3,000 year-old being like "Hey servant, what does that word say?" "Can't you read?" "...no...." *montage of him going to college and getting a bachelor's degree*

    ReplyDelete
  10. This page was awesome! Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. GASP! You never ask bout a woman's age!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This...is in the running for the funniest page yet

    ReplyDelete
  13. But being old would be a good thing for a reaper, wouldn't it? It means they have managed to stay alive for a long time, and probably have a lot of knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Would you really like to be the one to ask Voreese her age...?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wonder--does Hector even realize that he, no less than Roman, has the right to say "I don't want to tell you?"

    ReplyDelete