Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Page 534

--donation bonus (day #28, post 1/5)--
“Ouch,” said Hector.

“Yeah. Was feeling that one for a couple weeks.”

The conversation hit an abrupt pothole as Hector realized that it was up to him to respond but that he didn’t have anything to say. He quietly agonized for a fresh topic, but Roman soon filled the void for him.

“So how did you originally die?”

Hector’s mouth was left open at that question. Mid-breath, it just made him stop.

Thankfully, Roman didn’t seem to notice yet. “Me, it’s kind of a funny story. Guess you could say I was a bit of a punk, back then. Always trying to get my hands on something valuable, something I could sell. Always trying to work people, get them to think that I was someone I wasn’t so that I could, y’know, take their stuff.” Roman paused for a nostalgic smirk. “Maybe I’m still a bit of a punk, honestly. It’s so much fun when you trick the right person.”

Hector just offered a nervous smile, still dreading the moment when he would have to answer. It felt like he was somehow back in school, back before meeting Garovel, during one of those awful times when he was just waiting for the teacher to call on him and tell him that he had to give his presentation to the class.

“Basically, though,” Roman was saying, “I ripped off the wrong guy, and he had me killed. All because of some stupid diamonds that he didn’t even need anyway. Guy was absolutely loaded. I mean, don’t get me wrong--I am a greedy son of a bitch, too, but come on. I outwitted him, was all. Murder was taking things a bit far. So I didn’t see it coming until it was too late, and that’s when Voreese found me. Then she helped me dismantle the bastard’s entire life and leave him rotting in prison with nothing.”

“Ah... w-wow...”

“Was pretty satisfying, I have to say.”

Hector was just hoping Roman would forget the previous topic as he said, “Uh, w-was that also when you met Gina, or...?”

3 comments:

  1. Snowtail the KhajiitJanuary 29, 2014 at 11:07 AM

    Hah, Roman, you've been that kinda person for a while then, huh? XD But poor Hector, he's so desperate not to have to answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, it doesn't really sound very cool or impressive after "got killed by a guy I tricked out of diamonds".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol I was just thinking of how Hector felt at school when the comparison was made. Nice

    ReplyDelete