Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Page 518

--donation bonus (day #26, post 2/5)--
Hector shook his head. At this point, he was honestly just curious. “If that’s the case... then why didn’t you just put me up for adoption?”

She seemed amused by the question. “I thought about it more than once. But your father was stubborn. He insisted we keep you. Though, if you’re thinking it was because he loved you, then--”

“I already know he didn’t,” he said, suddenly wanting to get there before her. He felt a change taking place in himself, a kind of quiet epiphany, though he wasn’t quite sure where it was coming from just yet.

The look she gave him then seemed more disappointed than surprised.

“Dad never wanted to show any weakness. If he didn’t want to put me up for adoption... then it was only because he was worried how it would look.”

“At least you’re not stupid.”

Oh, fuck her!’ said Garovel. ‘Hector, let’s get out of here.

“One last thing before I go,” he said, sterner now. “Mom. Thank you for being honest with me.”

“Hmph.”

“And... I still love you. I don’t know why. You’re a terrible mother. But I’m realizing... that I don’t give a shit, anymore. I’m going to protect you, whether you want me to or not.”

She snorted. “Is that so?”

“It is.”

She didn’t have a response for that.

So he left her there. He donned his riding helmet, pulled on his gloves, and mounted his bike. He gave one last wave to Lynn and her family before following Gina and the King out of the bunker.

It had been a while since he rode at night. The stars were out, shimmering in a clear sky, and he greatly appreciated the brisk air. It was almost cathartic.

Garovel was quiet for a while, perhaps still uncertain what to make of that last exchange. Then he finally said, ‘You sure you’re okay?

Yeah.

Really?

Really.

Huh.

A few beats passed.

You’re really, really sure?

He laughed weakly inside his helmet. ‘Garovel, I’m fine. I won’t let what she says get to me anymore.

Huh,’ repeated Garovel.

16 comments:

  1. George I love your novel, I just can't stop reading. I have read it like 5 times now and I just can't get enough of it. I have even taken to spreading the word about it on my facebook page as well as all of my friends in my gaming community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sniff... Hector is finally grown up

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww. Thank you so much. That's really helpful. The most difficult thing about publishing the story this way is just getting exposure, so yeah, I definitely appreciate that a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snowtail the KhajiitJanuary 22, 2014 at 8:14 PM

    That's right Hector, you don't need her. And even if she is a bitch (which she definitely is), you're still your kind self.
    Don't ever change, Hector.
    Well, maybe learn how to talk fluently… *shrug*

    ReplyDelete
  5. He'll struggle to get with Lynn if he can't talk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hector only stumbles because he's so shy and nervous. He decided to not care that his mum doesn't love him so he wasn't nervous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Snowtail the KhajiitJanuary 24, 2014 at 10:13 PM

    I dunno, she seems to have kinda gotten used to his way of speaking…or lack thereof. XD

    ReplyDelete
  8. He still needs to be able to talk to her. His natural charm will win her over but the ability to complete a sentence will be pretty handy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Snowtail the KhajiitJanuary 27, 2014 at 5:05 PM

    This is true. X3

    ReplyDelete
  10. There were hardly any ellipses in this part of his conversation with her, and the few that are there, are practically normal. Definitely a change. I wonder if he'll start being able to talk to other people too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What, you guys hadn't noticed? He used to stutter through talking to his mother, but for this scene, he hardly hesitated. I think we're going to start seeing progress on that front. He hasn't hesitated much with Garovel for ages.

    ReplyDelete
  12. No, I noticed too. And considered it deeply significant.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lol that problem of his has been getting better for a while. It was just really obvious here

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fuck, I loved this scene. Made me tear a bit

    ReplyDelete
  15. Am I the only one to notice that Hector suddenly stopped stumbling over his words?

    ReplyDelete