Friday, January 17, 2014

Page 504

“I am not saying you should abandon your mother,” said the King. “But her well-being is not entirely your responsibility, either. She must also want to be well.”

“With respect, um... sir... y-you don’t know very much about us.”

“That is true. I apologize if what I said seemed callous.”

“It’s, ah--it’s fine.”

A heavy silence fell, and Hector realized that the sun was probably beginning to take a toll on the King, so he raised an iron half-dome to shield them both. The man seemed to appreciate it.

“There is something I still do not understand,” said William. “Well, I suppose there are many things, truthfully. But I am curious as to why you are helping us. Is it only because this reaper companion of yours compels you to?”

Hector glanced at Garovel. “No, it’s not just that. I, um... ah... I... want to... agh...”

“Yes?”

He flushed with embarrassment. “I just... we just want to help people.”

The King cocked a blond eyebrow at him. “Begging your pardon, but I find it difficult to believe that your motive could be so simple.”

“Yeah, well...”

“I understand that this Roman Fullister gentleman is helping us because he is an Atreyan loyalist and has business interests here. But unless I am mistaken, you were merely a student in high school a few months ago.”

Hector took a breath and scratched his forehead. “W-well... things kinda, y’know... spiraled out of control.”

“Even so, you have put yourself through quite a lot, and you are telling me that was only because you wanted to--”

Hector’s phone interrupted. He fished it out of his pocket and eyed the caller ID. He hurried back down the ramp while it continued ringing.

The King followed.

“Gina!” shouted Hector, and she turned away from her conversation with Lynn’s family.

Everyone gathered around as the phone stopped ringing. Even Mrs. Goffe wandered a bit closer.

The voice mail triggered, and then came David’s confirmation. <“Jonathan. Please pick up if you are there.”>

Hector did no such thing.

9 comments:

  1. I'll assume he's not answering because the king is to send a text after this. Although hector may have noticed something wrong in his voice...

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...You are telling >me< that was only..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. "But I am curious as to why are you helping us?"
    This sounds strange... English isn't my first language so I can't claim any kind of "sprachgefühl" (feel for language?), but the word order seems wrong. "I am curious as to why you are helping us" seems more familiar to me. And it wouldn't be a question in that case (I think).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, you're right. I tend to reword things a lot as I write, which is how shit like this usually happens. Fixed now, though. Thanks, Ankou.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What...? Who's Jonathan? What's going on?

    ReplyDelete
  6. hector says the king doesnt know anything about him... well no shit you are always stuttering

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those two things aren't related. The King doesn't know anything about him is because they've never had much opportunity to speak to each other before.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I find it sad that you even had to explain that...

    ReplyDelete