Friday, January 17, 2014

Page 503

Hector fled the garage, up the ramp and outside into the harsh sunlight.

Garovel said something to him, and the words even passed through his head clearly, but he simply wasn’t paying attention. His mind was cluttered with confusion and fury, wondering if she’d really meant those things, angry that she could even say them, furious that he couldn’t respond. And just. Sadness. It hurt, a pain right in his chest. He’d always thought heartache was just a figure of speech.

“Hector?” It was the King’s voice.

Hector hurriedly wiped his eyes. “Y-yes?” He couldn’t bring himself to turn around and face the man.

“I apologize,” said William. “I happened to overhear what your mother said.”

He winced. “O-oh...”

“I did not mean to eavesdrop.”

“Did... did everyone hear?”

“Only Gina and myself, I believe. She seemed rather concerned as well. Are you alright?”

“I’m--I, uh... I’m, ah--”

It’s okay to say no,’ said Garovel. ‘Hector, you don’t have to pretend like everything is fine.

Hector just looked at the ground, opting to say nothing.

The King stepped closer. “Perhaps it is not my place to say this, but would you like my opinion?”

“Um... okay?”

“A child does not require a parent’s love or approval in order to live happily or honorably.”

Hector’s brow receded, and he looked up at the King. “Your Majesty, what are you saying?”

“Were you thinking I would try to convince you how valuable family is? How important it is to reconcile with your mother? Because words such as those would not suit me, I fear. I have considerable experience with family discord.”

Hector only frowned.

“Of course, if it is within reason to reconcile, then certainly do so. But please, do not believe that there is something wrong with you merely because of what she said. That would be a mistake. One that I have made, myself.”

“But... it’s not... I mean, what do I do?”

“Whatever you can. But you cannot force someone to love you. Nor do you need to.”

“But I’m... I’m all she has. Whether she acknowledges it or not... I can’t just...”

13 comments:

  1. I was supposed to put up two pages yesterday, but I only put up one, so there'll be three today in order to make up the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks, O August Author Guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When will the next two be posted?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I just read all 503 pages in about a week, and all I have to say is damn....this is a crazy good story. I'm not a big reader but I could not stop. Awesome job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have them up at 6 pm and 9 pm, US Pacific time. I apologize for the weird timing. I'll get back into the midnight and noon schedule tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not two bad, though it only took me about 2 days to read all 503 pages. I read books way too much and ended up staying up for twenty four hours straight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nitpicking now...
    "I happened to over hear what your mother said."
    My dictionary says that "overhear" is one word. Might be wrong, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could relate to what King William said here, but, well, please do love your parents whenever possible; despite all odds

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think Hector's love for Vanessa was ever the question...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Frost. Having someone there to console Hector was good. Cause that confrontation left me so pissed.

    ReplyDelete