Thursday, January 16, 2014

Page 502

“Ah--are you sure?” said Gina. “It wouldn’t be any trouble.”

Hector decided to intervene. “Mom, you should accept her offer.”

“I said no.” She walked away.

Hector gave Gina an apologetic look and then pursued his mother to the other end of the garage.

She’d climbed into her car to lie down.

“Mom...”

She didn’t bother to sit up again. “What?”

“I’m... I’m worried about you.”

“You’re wasting your time on me.”

Hector had no idea what to say to that.

“You should have just left me to die,” she said.

“Mom... don’t say that...”

“Why not?”

“B-because... how could you think I would ever just...? Agh...”

“It has nothing to do with you. I just don’t care.”

“Mom...”

“The only person I’ve ever loved is gone,” she said. “What difference would it make if you’d let me die? I’m already dead, anyway.”

“Agh, Mom. Stop. You’re not--”

“Tell me. Do you even care that your father is dead? That you got him killed?”

Her words might as well have been knives. “How can you--? You don’t even know that I--how much I--?” He choked on his own breath, feeling his throat swelling up. He squinted, suddenly having to fight the gathering tears.

She sat up to look at him now. “Wow,” she said dully, “so you really do have emotions. I was starting to think you were some kind of monster.”

Hector couldn’t stop the tears at all now and just tried to hide his eyes with a hand.

Fuck, I hate this woman,’ said Garovel. ‘Hector, please stop talking to her.

But Mrs. Goffe wasn’t done. “All this time, you’ve been off doing whatever you want, getting into more trouble, trying to be a hero. And you’re worried about your family now? It’s a bit late for that, don’t you think? You don’t honestly expect me to forgive you, do you?”

He couldn’t even respond.

“If you’re going to do something, then you might as well do it all the way, Hector. Just leave me be. Worry about your fight with Abolish or whatever it’s called. If you get me killed, too, then at least you’ll know that it didn’t matter.”

12 comments:

  1. Wow wtf I never felt so much sympathy for a fiction character than right now that... That's just messed up man

    ReplyDelete
  2. If he's a monster, it's because you made him that way, bitch

    ReplyDelete
  3. Which is the worse parent?
    Gendo Ikari or mamma goffe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snowtail the KhajiitFebruary 4, 2014 at 12:34 AM

    Yes, I realize she was supposed to be this way. It doesn't lessen the hate at all though. XD And I like pointing out such things, first and foremost, to let Frosty know that he is very good at character-building and defining. It takes a lot to make me hate someone, so he did a good job with Hector's mom, who managed to push all of my anger buttons! ^_^'
    It will take a helluva change for me to stop hating her though. But we shall see~! ^w^

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not certain, in her case, I wouldn't prefer she just get what's coming to her. In this book, it could happen. Be tough on Hector at first, but I honestly believe he needs to stop waiting for her to love him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Snowtail the KhajiitFebruary 4, 2014 at 11:20 PM

    I agree completely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Didn't I just say I can't blame this woman?! Fuck, she's such a bitch!

    Please God, someone else HAS to be listening to this! Lynn or better yet Isabelle. Pplease let Isabelle hear this so she can turn Vanessa into a pretzel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, that was always the intent. That she was that kind of character, I mean. It was pretty clear from the beginning, hers was one character not intended to be redeemed, at least in retrospect. Possibly through future changes...hard ones.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pity that saying it doesn't help. I wish that someone other than Garovel could say it in story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Snowtail the KhajiitOctober 17, 2014 at 4:28 PM

    Hector, your mom is a colossal bitch.

    Sorry, but someone had to say it.
    I was willing to blame shock and loss, y'know? But now she's throwing that outta the window. Now I just wanna punch her out and hug Hector.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah. I usually try to give people the benefit of the doubt, but grief. Hard to feel any sympathy for the woman at this point. No matter how much heartbreak you're in over your husband dying, you don't do that to your son.

    ReplyDelete
  12. God?
    There's no god in this story, only frosty

    ReplyDelete