Monday, December 16, 2013

Page 413

Luther took his time, searching the ceiling for his words. “This was many years ago, and back then, you were often abroad, but you at least remember how Gabriel was always being groomed for the throne, yes?”

“Of course.”

“Well, one summer, that extended much further. Father explained to Gabriel that one day Atreya would become a global superpower, that it would be Gabriel’s responsibility to see that dream realized. Father’s reasoning, he said, was that Atreya needed two things--the first of which was time to flourish. And you may have noticed, it has done just that. Our people have grown quite wealthy in recent years. I attribute that to our father. The second thing Atreya needed, he said, was land. He believed that the country’s growth would inevitably plateau so long as we possessed so little land and so few people. And on that matter, I believe he has also been proven correct. And given that the Age of Exploration is long dead, there are only two methods by which we might acquire more land.”

“Purchase or conquest,” David finished.

“Both options are expensive. Worse, the prior is often not an option at all. Good land is usually not for sale, and bad land makes for a bad purchase. Hence, we arrive at our current dilemma. So you see, Gabriel’s obsession is not his own. He carries on our father’s will, who carried on our grandfather’s will.”

David eyed him doubtfully. “Why would Father never tell me of these intentions himself?”

“Oh, I was not meant to hear him speak of it, either. He only intended for Gabriel to know. I overheard purely by chance.”

“I find that difficult to believe.”

“I suppose you would. In his final years, Father obviously had a change of heart. Helen’s appointment was a pitiful effort to undo the mistake that he spent his entire life creating.”

“So you say. Yet you offer nothing in the way of proof.”

12 comments:

  1. Based on my knowledge of events it all sounds plausible. But I like David even more because of his cautious skepticism.

    You better not be planning on killing him too, Mr. Frost. Towards the end I was starting to become a huge fan of Stoker. And then....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this story
    It is incredible
    Characters dying is a realistic happening based on the world they live in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a big fan of the way David is cautious to trust any of his brothers. I mean they're all involved in plotting to have Helen killed it's not like family loyalty is all that important here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually liked stoker better than Colt. And I really wanted to see his reaper get the chance to redeem herself. In her own eyes, if no other entity exists (in TZK world)

    ReplyDelete
  5. And why did their father not even tell Helen of this sudden change of heart?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked Stoker and Nize better as well. I think Stoker/Nize came across as sympathetic characters more so than Colt. I mean, from the get-go we knew Nize had misgivings bout what she was doing and Stoker never believed in it at all. Even though they would have undoubtedly done deplorable things in the name of Abolish in the past, WE, the readers, see none of that. Contrast that with Colt, whom we get to see first hand kill with no remorse. In fact, we're told he enjoys it and we're given no evidence as to the contrary. Then we finally get his Morality Pet that is his twins and we're automatically rooting for him simply because we want the kids to live. No, I believe for many (not just you and I), Colt is a character that they wouldn't give a damn about if it weren't for the kids.

    However, I don't believe Frost meant for us to like Colt. I think Frost wanted to show that not all the good guys are going to be "good" or have some altruistic reason for fighting evil. Some are gonna have very selfish reasons that just happen to benefit the heroes. And really, in that sense, can you not say Frost succeeded with what he created with Colt? Honestly, if I was put into Colt's shoes, I cant say I wouldn't have done the same damn thing he did. I can't really say I'd care bout someone I don't even know vs. the lives of my children. Same thing with Stoker. Both Colt and Stoker/Nize were used to display things in the story that we probably would never get to see through Hector's eyes. In that sense, I appreciate them all equally.

    That being said, I'll never fucking forgive Colt for killing Melissa, just like Hector hasn't. When Colt leaves Hector, I hope he has a happy ending, but I never want to see that fucking asshole again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe he did, and we don't know it yet. I'm catching up by the way, breaks or no ^^

    ReplyDelete
  8. Had she known how he'd raised his sons, she might have been more on guard around them...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for reading. Glad you enjoy it. :)

    ReplyDelete