Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Page 160

Helen’s smile weakened. “I also thought you might resent me for never wanting children.”

“Honestly, I never wanted children, either,” he said. “My family wanted an heir, of course, but I was quite content with upsetting them by then.”

What the fuck is happening right now?’ said Mehlsanz. ‘You do remember that there’s a murderer loose in the building, don’t you? More than one, if you count Nathaniel.

That brought Helen’s attention back to the present, and she looked at William again. “If you are not the one responsible, then the most probable suspect is Gabriel.”

The King blinked at her. “Gabriel?”

“Nathaniel poisoned my wine,” she said. “I have known all along that he was the assassin, but I do not yet know who convinced him to kill me.” She could see the gears turning in William’s head.

He pressed a hand to his temple. “Gabriel... yes... He has been trying to convince me to support the expansionist movement for months now. He wanted me to talk to you about it. He thinks you don’t listen to him.”

“That is because I don’t.”

“His nationalism must be even stronger than I imagined if he would go so far as to have you killed. His own sister...” He straightened. “This changes things. I need to meet with my aunt again. She probably knows more about Gabriel than I do.” He moved for the door.

Helen stepped closer. “Before you do, can you find a guardswoman named Lynnette Edith and tell her to come see me?”

“Lynnette Edith?”

“I do not wish to see her in public, but I need to amend my orders for her.”

He nodded. “Very well.”

They paused a moment, standing by the door together, both abruptly realizing that their conversation had ended. Then the King kissed her, and they let it linger.

5 comments:

  1. 0w0 I like them 0w0

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, very nice. You're not setting us up for a disposable but sympathetic tragedy victim are you? I won't like you anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My tragedy senses are tingling...

    ReplyDelete