Thursday, July 4, 2013

Page 120

--donation bonus (day #5, post 2/5)--
“My family, Your Highness?” said Lynnette. “Because I am lowborn...?”

“Indeed,” she said plainly. “Lowborn families are rare, and while I am under no delusions that this alone renders you without ambitions or unequivocally loyal to me, I believe the fact that you are also ostracized by your comrades splits the difference.”

The young woman’s ice blue gaze hardened. “They don’t ostracize me, Your Highness. I ostracize them.”

“Oh? And why is that?”

“Because... ah... I must apologize, Your Highness. I spoke carelessly.”

“No,” said Helen, returning to her chair of velvet and rosewood. “Please speak candidly.”

Lynnette took a moment to become certain again. “They are undisciplined, elitist fools, Your Highness. They think every minor effort they put forth deserves praise and rewards.”

The Queen’s hands came together at their fingertips. “I knew I would like you.” She could hear Mehlsanz chortling.

The girl’s expression betrayed nothing of her thoughts.

Helen decided to move on. “So. What have people been saying about my sudden interest in my guardsmen? What rumors have you heard?”

Lynnette seemed reluctant but answered nonetheless. “Most people seem to think you’re looking for someone to investigate the assassination attempt in secret, because you don’t trust the official investigators.”

“Ah. I thought as much. Is that what you believe, as well?”

“In all honesty, ma’am, I don’t really listen to rumors. I find them tedious.”

“That is unfortunate, because you are going to start,” said Helen. “You are my secret ally. You will tell me what others are afraid to. Listening to rumors is now very much worth your time.”

“But, Your Highness...”

“I believe I have made myself clear.”

She straightened, and then nodded. “Yes, ma’am.”

3 comments:

  1. Listening to rumors is now very much worth your time.
    Nothing wrong with this statement, I just like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Question, the Queen has an incorporeal, invisible entity as an ally, why would she need Lynnette to find out the culprit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My guess...
    cause she is not really searching for the culprit but something else...

    ReplyDelete