Thursday, June 20, 2013

Page 89

Yes,’ said Bohwanox. ‘It just vanished, with no apparent cause. Then the man it belonged to suddenly decided to come straight here, as if in a trance. I saw him go this way. Please follow me.

Hector did so, smashing security cameras where he saw them. “I thought, um... I thought you didn’t care about saving people,” said Hector.

I don’t like to get involved, if that’s what you mean,’ said Bohwanox. ‘But this is something different. You’ve sensed it too, haven’t you, Garovel? The strange discomfort in this city?

Mm. I have. You believe this to be connected?

Not just connected. I believe it to be the root cause. I believe these missing people may be dying very... abnormally.

“What do you mean?”

I’m not wholly sure myself,’ said Bohwanox. ‘These people who have been going missing, they’re all different ages, races, and genders. I couldn’t find a common thread between them all, and their disappearances don’t seem to have benefited anyone in particular. So I don’t suspect that they’re being held prisoner for sake of ransom or slavery. I believe they’re being killed. But if that’s the case, then why haven’t I found any trapped or wandering souls? It’s very strange.

And troubling,’ added Garovel.

Here,’ said Bohwanox. ‘I saw him go through that door.

“You didn’t check inside already?”

No, I...’ Bohwanox shied away from the door. ‘I was... reluctant.

Hector tilted his head. He looked at Garovel for an explanation, but the other reaper was also backing away. “A-are you guys okay...?”

You feel that, Garovel?

I do. I’m wondering how I missed it before...

Because it’s quiet,’ said Bohwanox. ‘It’s like a shadow that doesn’t belong. You don’t realize it’s there until the person casting it suddenly moves... and it lingers.

2 comments:

  1. Got shivers as I read the last bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shit...I actually shuddered at the end there. Something that can spook spectral Grim Reapers would have me running for the hill, immortality or not.

    ReplyDelete