Monday, April 22, 2013

Page 17

The reaper made no response.

Hector kept pressing. “I mean, because, I-I can’t die, right? He won’t be able to kill me? And... because I... I already wasted my life, anyway, so... I wouldn’t even be risking anything...”

Are you telling me you want to deal with him yourself?’

“I... uh... yeah.”

Garovel tilted his head. ‘That’s surprisingly bold of you. I thought you’d prefer to take things slower.’

“I just... don’t want anyone getting killed, is all...”

If that’s the case, then you should probably hurry.’

Hector’s face stiffened. “What? Why?”

Well, you know how I said the plan was to have the police visit him at an inconvenient time? He kills women by seducing them and bringing them back to his apartment, so the intention was to have them show up in the middle of--

“What?!” He looked back to the balcony, but the man wasn’t there anymore. He grabbed the phone and dialed the police.

Now you’re calling? But you just said--

“Hello?!” he yelled into the receiver. “There’s a guy in my building about to kill someone! He’s got a gun--”

He uses a knife.’

“--I mean, a knife, and ah--I heard him making threats on someone’s life from outside his apartment!”

<“What is your location?”>

“Ah--” Garovel gave him the address of the building, and he relayed it to the operator.

<“Please stay on the line, sir.”>

“Sorry, I can’t! Just get here!” He hung up and ran across the street. He barged through the entrance, and a security guard scrambled to stop him, but Hector had quite a head start. “Matter of life and death!” he shouted back as an apology.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, this is unexpected. He's a bit more heroic than I'd thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might be surprised what a depressed person will do once they can actually make a difference...

    ReplyDelete
  3. They can do things a same person wouldn't even consider. I would know, I've been on the verge of depression before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too. It's why Hector's character resonates with me so much

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mahdi AparentylycntsayawsomApril 21, 2015 at 1:35 AM

    Love how laid back Death is
    Have you read the Book Thief?

    ReplyDelete